![]() |
| Exactly what I Ended up Doing |
I avoid using the word relationship because of course people who only know provocation - know nothing of how to relate. There is no relationship.
You ask me why I would love someone with whom I had no relationship. Simple. They are family. My mother. My sisters. And my brother. I might venture to say, myself as well, having spent years recovering - eliminating those kinds of traits from my own personality.
Listen. I know that if every one of them gets real love confused and has not the ability to have a real relationship, then I must be the same way. I know that for some years I was really sick too - I only attribute life's good circumstances in my case to my long road to recovery. I think I will be recovering until the last day of my life - it's something that can always be progressive. And something I want and always wanted.
I happen to be an empath. For them I went the extra mile every time to try to help them see that they can recover too - they can heal - they can learn what healthy love is, and finally learn to really love.
To experience real love is so wonderful. Who wouldn't want their family to know and have love?
That leads me to mention my own control issues. I was determined to show them the error of their ways - their behavior - what their abusive behavior does - how it makes one feel. In theory, they were supposed to see my suffering and be sorry and want to become a person -- they would stop their abusive language, distrust, provocation, and controlling/manipulation, and we would become close and love each other without walking on eggshells or the reading of minds. In a nutshell... We could enjoy finally a functional relationship. NOT.
When I confronted each one of these people one by one, each one resorted to trying to hurt me - a kind of tit for tat. I wasn't playing. I did as the sign suggests. I walked away without anger or the desire to hurt them. I won't likely ever return only because it's the only option for my own continued recovery.
I have a problem with having to be sure that I turned myself inside out and every which way and sideways - giving of myself and my heart from the depths of my soul before calling it finished. Enough. Done. I am satisfied, now anyway, that I did everything possible to reach them before walking away.
I gave the very best of myself for my father and my one sister. For my father it was wonderful - he, in the end loved me no matter how many times the NM told him I didn't love him and I was crazy and god only knows what else. He could feel my love - he knew what real love was and we at least could steal our times together. I didn't have to show him love. I only loved him and gave him the best of me. Aside from the NM backtracking to destroy it, it was wonderful. It was enough. My love was enough.
But for the sister.. when we reconnected, first I loved her like I did my dad and she wasn't able to understand the concept - she wasn't opening up truly - she was still brushing under the rug any feeling that felt uncomfortable. Including LOVE. Then I tried for three years to tread lightly and gently ... trying to read her mind... walking on eggshells so not to offend her. To no avail. Then I allowed her to be abusive. I was going to show her "healthy love" then. (I'm showing here my own wacko thinking right while I was supposed to be recovering) She only got worse.
Then as you all know she finally had that splitting episode while I was at her place for the week of the fence project last year, during which was the last straw. I knew then it was beyond abusive - It was pathological borderline personality disorder to the tee. I, and frankly, even most professionals wouldn't stand a chance to help at this point without her WANTING to get better.
By this time our "relationship" or what I know was just "our time together" was over. The distrust, the controlling, the abusive language, and especially the anger (without provocation) had become her normal way around me. Everything I did wasn't good enough - or said was only words and dismissed. Whatever I gave to her wasn't enough.
I'm glad that I gave her the best of me both spiritually and literally..
I was satisfied she had Dad's gold ring whether or not it was good enough - I gave it to her freely with all my love, and I still feel grateful for that precious moment when I was able to give it to her, and tuck it into her hands ..hold her face to mine, and kiss her. Although, she reacted confused or maybe stunned says it best.
My heart swelled for the both of us - the three of us really. With or without the ring, Daddy will always be with me. His love remains in my heart.
I smile thinking that forever she will at least have that part of our father. That's a good thing.


3 comments:
My niece took exception with this post calling her mom the most successful, intelligent, and warm woman she ever knew.
I'm glad my sister has this girl in her life - a daughter to be proud of and to stand up for her no matter what. I see in this girl the traits that I was given - and a long road to hoe. But she's a lot smarter than I was at her age. Plus her mother isn't a psychopath like ours was - that's a big plus.
But you see here the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :( Only, I don't know her well enough other than to say she seems just fine. Pretty normal person. Just angry with me:
(Her Name) FYI my mother knows how to love unconditionally... I call BULLSHIT on your diagnoses of her "behavior" which was a result of taking care of your crazy drunk ass for a week... my mother is the most successful,intelligent,warm woman I have ever met... keep this shit to yourself and take me off your list. So sick of this whiney bullshit.
4 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 1
My response:
Kathleen Wheeler Awad I'm glad she shows you unconditional love. I have seen her be the way you describe her. You can defriend me anytime. No problem.
3 hours ago · Like
And my status update:
Kathleen Wheeler Awad
Time for that walk... see you all later ... I need to think. Taking my whining self off for a time out to figure things out. Something doesn't feel right. And if that's the case, maybe I shouldn't have shared that post. I mean it was selfish of me to put out the post when it ended up possibly doing more harm than good. I need to remember my mission there - and lesson my desire to get everything out of my head and off my heart. It's more important to tell the story without hurting anyone - and getting the point across without whining, as my adult niece reminded me ♥ The most important thing is that those who read it might understand what might be happening in their own lives and have the chance to act appropriately before getting hurt themselves... jeesh... My bad :(
And then my sweets who put everything in perspective again... Thank you.
I awoke the next morning to this:
(The person's name) guess I missed it my friend... we are friends here and all of us have bad days and many of us wish we could take back a post (or two) that we have posted.... I am here if you need to talk.
16 hours ago · Unlike · 4
Kathleen Wheeler Awad Thanks Judy .. xxoo
16 hours ago · Like
(The person's name) I think I missed something as well.
16 hours ago · Unlike · 1
(The person's name) Not sure what you are talking about but we all have done or said things we wish we could change...mistakes make us stronger and none of us are perfect...keep that wonderful smile on your face and always remember you are loved
15 hours ago via mobile · Unlike · 3
(The person's name) I don't know what you are talking about either... I think all of us have made posts that someone doesn't like.... it is impossible to please everyone..just give Wascally Wabbit a hug and forget about it...
15 hours ago · Unlike · 2
Kathleen Wheeler Awad awww I love you guys... Thank you
So I did just that. Picked up that Wascally wabbit of mine and gave him that hug. I learned from this that even as we try to get better, someone can always take exception.
Typical though - I share my hearts warmest gift and another NM family tentacle reaches out from the abyss to top it off with more abusive language and unrelated remarks.
Post a Comment